Sorry I've been absent for a bit. This last week has been fuller than most since the school year started.
The library we usually frequent is closed for long-overdue repairs, so I finally decided it was time to find another one. I found one in mid-city on the library website, then I looked it up on Google, and we were off. There was no library at the given location. This has happened SO MANY TIMES since we moved here. It doesn't matter that Google says it's there, CALL FIRST. Another reason for a smart phone. Those things are looking more and more like they're worth spending too much money on! We did finally find one, and got some great books, so that was good. It just took up the whole afternoon.
Speaking of books, our FIAR book this week is Who Owns the Sun? by Stacy Chbosky.
This book is amazing, beautiful, and very hard for me. And not at all hard for my children, which is fine, but makes me wonder if, well, I'm doing something wrong. Like if I were teaching it correctly, they would understand. But really, they just can't comprehend it yet.
The story is about a boy who adores his strong, wise father and asks him, "who owns the [sun/stars/wind, etc.]?" and his father responds with a description of the beauty of each of these things, and the answer, "no one can own the sun."
Then one day, the boy overhears the man his parents work for talking about his father. He is full of pride at the complements to his dad's strength and work ethic until the man says, "I wish I owned ten more just like him."
The conversation the boy has with his father afterwards is heartbreaking.
Stacy Chbosky was 14 years old when she wrote it for a school competition.
For obvious reasons, race and prejudice have been on my mind consistently since we moved here. As I talk with my kids about differences, it would seem that they are truly unaware of skin color and the value people place on it. I am so grateful. So grateful.
Well, I'm kind of worn out just thinking about that, so I guess I'll be back tomorrow with the rest of what we've been up to around here.
I have goosebumps and want to run out and find this book now!
ReplyDeleteI agree about the smartphones...expensive, but worth it. They have saved us on so many occasions, plus I can Facebook from anywhere and that's super important;) Ha!