Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole

I have been in such a cooking slump.  At least a couple times in the last week, my poor husband has come home from work at 5:45 to find a wife staring at the refrigerator with disgust and the declaration, "I hate cooking.  I don't know what we're going to eat tonight."

So it is with great joy, that I present food!   Yummy food!  Food that my family liked, and will eat again tonight (THANK YOU, JESUS!).

At our life group this week, someone brought a chicken, rice and broccoli casserole.  I pretty much hovered over that thing.  The one they brought was from a big box store, and those of you who know me well, know that I try to avoid processed foods (not that you can tell, since our last trip yielded a bulk box of Ritz).

Chicken, broccoli and rice are three ingredients I keep on hand at all times, so I figured there must be a way to make one... and I did!  I did a little search of the interweb, and found one that did not have rice, but also didn't call for any canned ingredients.  So I altered it a bit, because I wanted the rice in there.  I thought I'd share the recipe because my family declared it a hit.  I will say, though, that it required a lot of dishes, because you cook the ingredients separately.  Oh, and since I don't follow directions that well, I added in parenthesis what I actually did.


Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole

2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded (I used one really big breast)
1 head of broccoli, steamed (3 or 4 cups frozen)
1 c. uncooked rice (I used a brown and wild rice mix)
32 oz box Chicken broth
3/4 c. mayonaise
1 T. of your favorite spice mix.  
2 c. shredded cheese
1 c. Bread crumbs (I used the afore-mentioned ritz)
4 T. butter

Cook the rice in 3 cups of the broth.

Grease a 9x13 pan.  Layer the broccoli, rice and chicken in the pan.  If there is any liquid left in the rice, add it.

Mix remaining cup of broth, mayo and spice mix, then pour over the chicken.

Sprinkle cheese, then bread crumbs, then dribble butter over the top.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, then let sit for 15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you! This sounds good, so I'm going to ask Brandon if I can try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that does sound yummy! And it sounds like something I might be able to handle making. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete