Monday, August 16, 2010

First Grade, Here We Come!

Warning: this post is mostly my thoughts and reflection this morning, and as such, may not be... well, interesting!

Today is Nathan's first day of 1st grade.  We are all excited for another fun beginning and relieved to be back in a pattern.

I noticed a couple things this morning:

We are so much more relaxed this year!  I'm sure that's a no-brainer, but last year was such a learning experience for both all of us.  I spent last year figuring out how Nathan learns, what motivates him, and also how I teach. 

The other big thing I noticed is that it's not all about Nathan this year.  Last year, every single decision I made regarding school was made with Nathan in mind.

What's best for Nathan?
How will this affect Nathan?
When I school Nathan...
etc.

Conversations about homeschooling were only about him, even though I knew that (most likely) I'll be home educating the other two as well.  I would try to break out of that thought pattern and think about the broader implications of our decisions... but I couldn't do it.

This summer, though, my thoughts have turned much more to our family.

What's best for our family?
How will this affect our family?
When our family is in school...

It's really been a relief to know that I don't have to be hyper-focused on my beautiful boy at all times!

We've completed our morning routine and we're getting ready to start school.  It's gonna be a great year!

3 comments:

  1. Great update. To what extend does Brenna show interest in Nathan's learning? Is she wanting to participate? If so, how is that working out?

    mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that this year goes smoothly for you:)

    ReplyDelete