Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Reminiscing


This week we're reading A Pair of Red Clogs by Masako Matsuno.  It's the story of a grandmother reminiscing about a lesson learned in her childhood. 

As our activity, I asked the kids to narrate a memory to me.


Here is Nathan's special memory:

When my baby brother was born, I was four years old.  Beah was my baby brother's midwife.  When he was born, my dad went over and woke me up and when I got up, the breakfast I had was plain cheerios with sugar in them.

My dad was the one to catch my baby brother.

The other midwife that came helped Beah.

My baby brother's name is Isaac.

I got water for my mom.  Beah helped me get nice hot water from the kettle.

Nana came to our house when my baby brother was born.  Nana took care of me.

I was in my mom's room most of the time.  I wanted to catch my baby brother, but then I didn't want to .  So I watched Isaac come out of my mom's tummy.  It was in the middle of the night.

I was excited that I was gonna get a new baby brother!


Here is Brenna's special memory:
I went to Wahoo Wednesday.  We had tables there.  We sat at them and colored.

There were toys that you could sprinkle but they weren't real.  They were pretend food.  They were yellow.  It was cheese.

I asked Brenna if she remembered the shirt she wore to Wahoo Wednesday (our church's VBS) and she scrunched up her nose and said, "it's getting too big on me."

"What?"

"It's getting too big on me."

"Do you mean 'it's getting too small'?"

"No.  It's getting too big on me."

"Oh.  well do you want to write about that?"

"No."

Well, at least she's got her priorities straight.  It's all about the cheese.  Fake or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment