Saturday, January 30, 2010

Thoughts

I've been following a blog for the last few weeks of a woman who lost her baby, her fourth son, to pertussis.  He was less than two months old.

I hurt for her.  I pray for her.  I cry at her very real pain. She doesn't know I exist, and I wouldn't know her from Adam if I ran into her on the sidewalk.

Brian asks me why I read it.  Why do I read things that don't really effect me, except to cause sadness?

And I suppose that the short answer is it could be me.  That's probably terribly selfish.  But if I were this mom, I would want to know that people were hurting with me, standing with me, holding me up.  I am blessed to live in a time and place in which I don't see death, or even pain, every day.  I know it's out there, but it's not here.  But it could be.  It could be my children, my family.  And someday, it probably will.  As much as I hate the thought, I don't suppose I'm going to get through my life without the sin that is in this world touching my family. 

I hope that if (and when) it happens, I can respond with the grace that this mama has. 

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment