After a whirlwind visit, we're home from California! It was a fun, but very busy trip. We had something going on every single day, and since three of the five of us got sick, we'll need to rethink some things next time!
Some highlights (or lowlights, depending):
Brian and I were surprised by how comfortable it was to arrive in New Orleans; I guess that means we've settled in. This morning after a breakfast of bagels (the only thing in the house, thank goodness I remembered to pull them out of the freezer last night!) we made a beeline for the grocery store. Must have half and half. I had my first cup of coffee at 11 this morning. Not Good.
*****
The flight out was amazing. The best part was that an angel sat in the seat next to Nathan. This kind, kind man entertained my five year old for FOUR HOURS. He pretended to be scared when Nathan yelled BOO! (in his ear, over and over and over and over). He made faces and pretend reactions when Nathan called out animals, (i.e. SKUNK! in his ear, over and over and over and over). He let Nathan lean across him to look out the window to see the clouds and snow and whatnot. Talk about a gift from God. Amazing.
*****
Brenna's trip highlight: "Nana lets me crack eggs!" Mama is not so brave.
*****
We stayed in a hotel for a couple nights in Concord (it was VERY hard to visit and not go home to our house!) and the kids LOVE the breakfast buffet. It's the joy of their hotel experience each time we're in one. They are not particularly fond of Mama's rule that you can only fill up one plate at a time.
*****
There are a variety of reasons I love Brian's annual meeting; one of them is the drive. All that time in the car to talk WITH NO CHILDREN! I think we get more complete thoughts out in that drive than in the rest of the year combined!
*****
Somewhere around Benecia, Brian informed me that if I die before he does, he's going to announce in my eulogy that I drool like a labrador in my sleep. Just thought I should let you know that my funeral might turn into a tell-all.
*****
We had a great conversations about women and body image. Just a heads-up, ladies, but men really hate it when we blow off their compliments. They feel belittled by it.
We talked about having a healthy body, and what that means, as well as different body types. I tried to explain (in my own neurotic way) why a woman might not believe her man finds her attractive. It was interesting and eye-opening to me to hear Brian's perception of my own ups and downs. I guess it's probably obvious that he's not as hard on me as I am :)
*****
Lots of moms have told me horror stories about their kids' lack of tact. Nathan is really a sweet kid, and I really thought we had mostly missed that phase. GUESS NOT. In the airport, while waiting for our plane to board, Nathan asked, "MOM, ARE THOSE PEOPLE TALKING SPANISH?" He was referring to a couple sitting facing us about four feet away.
Hoping that a short answer would satisfy, I just said yes.
"WELL WHY DON'T THEY GO BACK TO THE STATE WHERE ALL THE PEOPLE TALK SPANISH AND NOT COME HERE?
Are you mortified for me?
So we had a little impromptu conversation about how it's okay to ask questions about things that are different, but could you PLEASE, PLEASE ask me politely in my ear, not while dancing in the aisle between us and said couple? He asked a few more pointed questions, so we had to briefly cover the concept of discrimination, a wonderful conversation to have in the airport, made all the more poignant by the fact that the people sitting back-to-back with us could surely hear every word and, I'm pretty certain, "talked Spanish".
*****
Fifteen minutes later, as we sat in our seats on the plane, a woman with a pronounced birthmark on her neck and jaw placed her bag in the bin above our heads. Once again, my sweet boy felt the need to question me at top volume. Rinse, repeat.
*****
Brenna had the flu for the last three days of the trip. You know what is no fun? A three year old who is too whiny and weak to walk on her own two feet through an airport when you have a bazillion bags to carry. Anyhoo, she's over it today, and all the words she didn't use for those three days came out this morning.
No coffee + TOO MANY WORDS = grouchy mom
*****
Man, I always get to the end and have no idea how to close. So, ummm...
Bye.
*****
Man, I always get to the end and have no idea how to close. So, ummm...
Bye.
Oh, wow - Nathan's comments! We haven't had that happen yet and I'd also wondered if we skipped the embarassing question/comment stage. Oh dear.... it will probably strike here soon.
ReplyDeleteBrenna Mae can crack eggs at my house any time!!! I loved having them to share the days and nights with! I love you!!!
ReplyDelete