Sunday, January 17, 2010

Nathan's Quilt

So I finished Nathan's quilt yesterday.




This thing was such a learning experience.  And it shows :)  I made about a bajillion mistakes.  There are certain details that I hope you won't notice that are TERRIBLE (so don't look at the pics full size)!  There are other things that I am just thrilled with, like the pirate ship.













The treasure chest is probably the single item that took the longest, I don't know if you can see it, but the treasure is puffy (technical term) and embroidered.  Nathan LOVES the treasure chest!


I learned a lot about my sewing machine, about thread tension, about sewing faster than I ought!  I learned that next time, I will probably do the quilting by hand, even though it will take fifty times longer (and after I do that, I'm sure I will commit to always using the machine).


I love these fabrics.  The pirates are a little bit terrifying.  I tried to talk my then-four year old out of it, but he's not scared, Mama!  He insisted on the checkered fabric, so that was a little bit of a challenge to work in, but I'm really happy with how it came together.  The stripes were my "inspiration fabric", the one I used to choose all the rest.


I learned that when I ask my husband for his advice and he starts a sentence with, "I don't know if it's too late to do this, but..." well, YES.  YES, IT IS TOO LATE!  Now thank you for letting me know you don't like how I did that!


I learned how to sew mitered corners, applique by machine (another thing I'll do by hand next time),  and that quilting a twin size blanket takes a lot of strength!


I'm beginning to prepare my heart for the day when he's 25 and comes to tell me that his bride-to-be does not love pirates quite as much as he does, and I'm forced to put away this symbol of my devotion to foist on his future children.

Just kidding... sort of.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Miranda the Quilt is great Nathan is very lucky boy.The pictures were very good.I like to see them close up.Love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last bit about foisting the quilt upon his future children. That's an excellent idea. You'll have to tell me why you hated quilting with the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful . . . no need to say more

    Love
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah! Miranda, you are such an inspiration to me! The quilt is amazing and you have to tell Nathan that whoever he marries must have a deep love for pirates and patchwork. I have just recently discovered that i want to learn how to sew and want to make a quilt. I have NO idea where to start or what kind of sewing machine to buy. Do you have any helpful tips for me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Amy, I could go on and on (and on and on and on)! this would probably be a conversation best had on the phone! but to start with... i took a beginning quilting class at a local quilt shop last nov/dec, and it was amazing. you should definitely start there. as for a machine, well, mine is a low-end pfaff, and i love it. i will happily (and verbosely) answer any questions you have.

    ReplyDelete