Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Miscellany

Brenna called me into her room with, "Mama, I need to tell you something."

I sat on her bed and asked, "yes, Brenna?"

"ummmm...." Guess she forgot what it was.

"Do you need to tell me something?"

"ummmm...." Come on, come up with something!

"What do you need to tell me, Brenna?"

"ummmm.... I don't want monsters to get in my bed."

Well, she got me there. I definitely wasn't expecting that! But she said it with a totally straight face, so I reassured her, "Brenna, no monsters are going to get in your bed."

"Okay!" Glad we got that cleared up.

*

Isaac is fascinated by his hands lately. He just watches his fingers move with the most rapt expression. It's really neat to watch.

*

For my birthday, I really wanted to try a restaurant that doesn't serve American food. We are totally stuck in a rut! So we walked downtown and turned in circles for a good 20 minutes looking at all the options. I was determined not to go to one of our standby's, but we were ridiculously nervous about trying something new! Well, Brian has had Thai food at work and thought it was pretty good, so we opted for the Thai place. It was AWESOME!

We had a crushed pineapple dish that was served in half a pineapple and a basil chicken dish, then deep fried bananas and ice cream for dessert. We will definitely be going back, but feel pretty silly for being so scared. However, the kids were pretty unimpressed with the lack of crayons and colorful menus with pictures of their choices (we like the klassy places). I had to remind Nathan that we were here FOR MY BIRTHDAY. I GET TO PICK ON MY BIRTHDAY. But he enjoyed the food, so I think going back will be a cinch.

*

Nathan tells a joke:

"Knock, knock!"

"Who's there?"

"Nathan!"

"Nathan who?"

"Stewart!"

A comedian he's not.

*

So I've been thinking about our homeschooling schedule in the fall, and I've decided to make a time for board games or puzzles. Besides the one-on-one time for Nathan, I think there are a lot of great things to be learned from games, i.e. following rules, taking turns, counting, focusing, etc.

What are some good games for little kids? (we have candyland, memory and chutes and ladders)

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to be brave with restaurants, isn't it? I think it's the money involved.

    We have those same classic games too. I've heard good things from parents about the Haba brand games. They're sold used all the time on the yahooWaldorf group I frequent. You can see a bunch of them here and even sort by age: http://www.oompa.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?&category=GAMES&pageTitle=&start=0.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-Ho Cheerio is good. Any version of memory is good. Also, Target has a bunch of different educational games with the regular standby board games.

    ReplyDelete