Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Nathan?

A couple days ago I was trying to teach Nathan and Brenna the Do-Re-Mi song from The Sound of Music. They loved it and kept asking me to sing it over and over, so yesterday I decided to check the movie out from the library (alas, my copy is on VHS). We spent yesterday afternoon and this morning watching it, and they LOVED it! Woohoo! Maybe I am related to those two monkeys!

While I was cleaning up in the kitchen I heard Nathan walking around singing How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? That made me laugh because when we watched it, I was totally changing it to his name in my head!

Watching it required a few explanations, like why some women want to marry God and thus can't marry men, and a very simplified (obviously) explanation of Nazis. So now I am prepared to be absolutely mortified when he calls someone a Nazi during play. Please, please, please, God, don't let it be with the children of my close friend from Germany! Because then, I will just have to die. Right there.

So musicals are a success! I think maybe the next couple movies I buy will be Mary Poppins and another old musical where no one gets called an idiot or some other name I don't want him to learn. Much better to stick with Nazis.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha! Have fun with the Nazi explanations at the next playdate:)

    ReplyDelete