Friday, October 9, 2009

New Orleans, Here We, Ummm… Came?

We’re here! Okay, that was stating the obvious… but I figured I left all three of you who cared hanging with my face book status, so here’s the rest of the story:

Wednesday night before we left, some amazing friends came and helped us mostly finish packing. Thank you, Jesus, for amazing friends! We looked at what was left after we sent them home (because we were both brain dead and couldn’t make any more decisions) and figured we had about two hours work or so left in the morning. Can you say STUPID?

Thursday morning, departure day, arrived with a realization that we still had lots to do. LOTS. And three small children with no toys, books or movies because everything was packed already. So we ran around all morning trying to wrap things up. As we finished up, I put the kids in the car with a movie while we swept and crammed things in the garage.

Guess what happens when kids are in the car watching a movie for, well, longer than you expected? And no, not that. They were strapped in to their seats. I’m not THAT stupid! THE BATTERY GOES DEAD. That’s what happens. I think my husband owed his mental cuss jar some money. I hid.

Well, I guess we have more time! Not really the plan. But okay, we’re flexible. Brian started the car charger, took care of more weird guy tasks like checking tire pressure and such, and I chatted with my neighbor, Sara, whom we’d already said goodbye to twice. We put the kids back in the car, and Brian asked me to watch him pull out to make sure everything was good with the hitch.

Everything was NOT good with the hitch. Prepare for lots of fancy technical terms here: we bought this fancy new double bike hitch thingy that basically makes it possible to put the bike hitch with all the bikes behind the vehicle, then the cargo trailer behind that. So we’re about 80 feet long. Anyhoo, Brian started to pull out, and because of the extra weight, the hitch scraped. Badly. And got stuck.

I may have to take a loan out from the mental cuss jar.

After some inspection, Brian decided there was nothing for it but to just reverse and… unscrape? He needed to change the hitch. Which is connected to the fancy new double bike hitch thingy and the trailer.

Just a note: the kids were really awesome, and out playing with Sara’s kids, since THEY WERE HOME FROM SCHOOL ALREADY.

So, the hitch. This is the part Brian’s mom should NOT READ. Or my mom, either. Doing everything properly would mean unloading the bikes and taking everything apart, and well, we were already late. So Brian pulled the pin on the hitch and just drove out of it, switched it out, then had me back up to reattach it.

Can I just say that I was waiting for a scream of pain that would tell me I had just cut off all my beloved’s fingers?

So after much yelling back and forth of “back up TWO INCHES!” and “This is a freaking Suburban! It doesn’t only go TWO INCHES!” we successfully reattached the bikes and trailer, said goodbye to Sara again, and were off. Whoo! Yeah, it felt really long at the time, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment