Tomorrow Isaac will be dedicated at church. We’ve had each of the kids dedicated, waiting until we came back from SC to do Brenna’s.
The dedication ceremony is special to me. I know that it doesn’t provide assurance of their salvation, but of something still very special: community.
Brian and I were blessed to grow up with wonderful church families. I think there comes a time for every kid when there is something that can’t be taken to parents, but an adult is needed. We both had that. We had adults who walked with us through immaturity and burgeoning independence. People who poured into our lives a faith in Jesus while we were still figuring out what our own looked like.
When I look at the people at our church, those who will say, “I do” when asked if they will walk along side us in the raising of our kids, this is what I think of. Who among them will be the ones my children run to for guidance when they can’t come to me? I don’t mean that to sound fearful; I think it’s healthy for them.
I pray that when the time comes, this family takes the job seriously, knowing that they may make all the difference.
Very exciting. I am so happy that you have found a church family you are so committed to. As you and I both know, having other adults is so important. Enjoy your special day!
ReplyDelete