Drum roll, please!
(Sorry if that's pretty self-congratulatory. I'm sorta thrilled!)
It's finished! Sixteen months (about five more than I thought it was going to take)!
When I began talking to Brenna about what she'd like, she was three years old. Pink and purple. Butterflies. We looked and looked at what was available in the way of butterflies, and Brenna's three year old self liked some of it, but I just couldn't see loving it in the long term. Then I came across this tutorial. LOVED IT. I had found exactly what I was looking for. Obviously, I altered it to fit my needs, but it still makes me so happy!
5 bugs
12 butterflies
12 birds
83 flowers
The center panel is called Wave Runner. I really like it, but I'm still not certain the two styles go together. Too late now! One thing that just made it so fun to work with is how groups of stripes would pop up in places I wasn't expecting. This little spot is one of my favorites!
This is what the back looks like. Brenna picked out the soft purple floral. It was an interesting experience having a three and four year old as a style consultant; she has a clear vision!
This was my first experience with free motion quilting. It was hard, and frustrating at times, but something I'm really glad I figured out. I think it'll go better next time.
As is usual with my work, there are a bajillion mistakes. I had constant problems with my tension, and nearly chucked the whole sewing machine out the door on a couple of occasions. I think now that I'm not working on anything, I'm going to focus on getting that taken care of, so hopefully I can avoid this next time.
This is what I got when I tried to encourage my sweet girl to pose. I'm not sure modeling is in her future, but I think she's happy with her quilt!
I am so glad it's done! And I'm so glad she loves it!








Oh, you're wrong about those pictures of Brenna with the quilt. They're adorable, fabulous, perfect! My mom is taking a look too and we both see so much of Johanna's look in Brenna. Congratulations on such a work of love, Miranda. Those little birds are sweet. Love the curly tales. Can't wait to see what you tackle next time!
ReplyDeleteWow! This quilt will be a treasure to her someday, knowing how much of yourself you put into it. I love how it turned out...the flowers, birds and bugs are gorgeous. Well done my friend!
ReplyDeleteIts a GORGEOUS quilt. You should be so proud of yourself! And I think the two patterns go really well together. It balances out the styles -one is sweet and cute and the other a bit more 'grown-up' and contemporary. Taken together it should wear very well through the years.
ReplyDeleteWow Miranda! It's beautiful! I love the colors and the pattern. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThe quilt is beautiful Miranda, and it will be a treasure for Brenna to keep and love always. You know that quilter's are not supposed to do a perfect quilt. The mistakes remind us of the fact that we are imperfect and that we serve a perfect Lord...a reminder of grace and redemption. It looks like Brenna has a future in design...the colors and patterns are wonderfully fresh and compatible. You BOTH did a great job!!
ReplyDeleteLove, Debbi Lawson
Great job Miranda,Brenna is a very lucky girl to have a quilt that has been made with so much love for her.You did a great job and it is very beautiful.I love the colors and the birds. Love Linda
ReplyDelete