And here, I'm going to go straight into a totally taboo social topic. Money. I might overshare, and if I do, I'm sorry. You all know I operate like an open book, and if you really wanted to know my husband's net worth, I would probably tell you!
(Don't worry, I don't plan to thwart the taboo that much!)
(At the moment.)
I didn't tell a lot of people; I felt very self conscious sharing it, but in December, I had Lasik. Or, some Lasik, since there were problems that will hopefully be completely remedied this week. We also got a dog. A designer dog. She was expensive; more than I ever thought I would pay for a pet.
Both of these choices were thoughtful; we didn't rush into them. But I am frugal. And they are luxuries. And when I pause for even a moment, I feel so self-conscious.
And rich.
When I look at our life, it sort of scares me. What does one do when one has extra money?
If we invest it, are we selfish?
If we give it away, are we foolish?
(I know there's a middle ground here. But I'm not sure exactly where it is)
So this is what I'm thinking about. A proper attitude towards wealth and possessions.
What do you think? Do you feel self-conscious about your financial status, whatever it may be, or do you find it comfortable where you are?
(Please note, I'm not asking what your status is!)
I think attitude is the most important thing. God gives us money to provide for our families, money to save, money to give away to others, and if we manage all that well and there is some left over, he's given us that to enjoy. I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying it, as long as we don't let money become our god. Many old testament writers were wealthy.
ReplyDeleteMoney in and of itself is not bad. It's when we move it from it's proper place in our lives and elevate it to a place that belongs to the one true king that it becomes a problem. When we worship money, it becomes a problem. Frugality and investing are wise biblical principles, and generosity is definitely a biblical principal. But we must manage it well also.