Brian and I have known since we bought our little 1930's cottage that we wanted to fill it with period appropriate furniture and restore the details that gave it charm before they were modernized. Then we moved to New Orleans with a bare minimum of furniture, and no storage.
Part of our challenge has been to acquire furniture that is useful here, and will fit in when we go home. I had pretty much lost hope of finding anything affordable. I was starting to troll the aisles of Walmart, Target and Cost Plus World Market (which I love, but quality? Ummm... not so much) for anything that would be affordable (read: cheap) without regard to style or quality.
And then.
Man, I love Craigslist!
These two pieces were built in the 20's and refinished somewhere along the way. They were being sold about ten minutes from our house (which is really good, because we only saw the ad for the buffet and didn't take any extra money) by a man who is in the process of restoring his 1860's home. The only thing that dragged us away from a very fun conversation were the three children screaming in the car!
The grand total of our purchases? $200
Seriously.
Well, I suppose it was actually $202, because we had to cross the bridge twice :)
And we are in love. We have been very surprised by how much warmer and cozier they've made our house. A wonderful addition. And an added bonus? I can now display the china plates Brian's grandmother gave me. These belonged to her mother and Grandpa's mother.
God has provided. Again.
Miranda, those are beautiful! Sometimes God's blessings are unbelievable. I love how you've used them with the plates and picture, etc.
ReplyDelete