Sunday, December 20, 2009

Miscellany 12.20.09

I have about a million pictures on my camera, so my next few posts are going to be pic intensive!  I have one (count it... ONE) deep thought in my head, but I'm not sure how to articulate it, so that will be coming sooner or later.

Tonight at dinner, I served twice baked potatoes.  As some of you know, my two eldest children don't consider potatoes edible unless they are of the french fried variety.  Nathan asked me in his most polite voice, "Mom, could you never, ever make this ever again?"

Brian is dog tired after working from 4am to noon Saturday and Sunday.  I am thrilled for the two coming four day weekends.

I'm pretty sure Nathan's quilt will be done for Christmas.  Yay!!  It's weird to have a project that I've spent a year working on, but Brenna is eager for me to start on hers.  It will be pink and pupple (yes, I meant to do that).

We have an ornament graveyard going on the kitchen counter.  And none of them were broken by the baby.

An old friend brought a great book store, Better World Books to my attention. They have a 5 for $15 bargain bin with free shipping, so I just scrolled through books until I found five that I knew I wanted for the kids.  Only a couple of them are appropriate right now, but I got Sarah, Plain and Tall.  It's a short little book, and I decided to read it because I remember not really caring for it as a kid.  It's heart wrenching.  The story is about a widower who advertises for a wife in the newspaper, and his two children, as they prepare to welcome Sarah into their lives.  The most important criterion?  That she sing, because there has been no music in their house since their mother died.  It's got me thinking about emotional maturity and when it's appropriate to introduce negative emotions in a safe way.  I can't remember when I read it... probably around third or fourth grade.

We have only one meal's worth of turkey left from Thanksgiving, and I've decided that next year I'M NOT MAKING A TURKEY.  Blasphemy, I know.  But I've never particularly liked turkey, and having several meals of it after the big day, on top of the work of making it in the first place... just not worth it.  Besides, Thanksgiving is about the carbs anyway, right?

Okay, I think that's it.  My brain is sort of empty for the moment.  If you made it this far, thank you!

2 comments:

  1. You know, Aria won't eat potatoes either. So weird! I've given up on twice baked potatoes and other potatoe-heavy dishes because if she doesn't eat it (and Liam rarely eats dinner) there's just too much left over. She does eat clam chowder with potatoes, but we didn't tell her about them until after she confirmed LOVING clam chowder. Oh well...

    You have to make turkey. People won't know it's Thanksgiving if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a mean mom. I have no qualms about sending my children to bed hungry if they won't eat what I made, but I always make sure to make lots of veggies when I make something they won't eat, because I know they'll eat those!

    And maybe there's a compromise with the turkey? Maybe I could just buy a turkey breast so there's something to go with the cranberry sauce (which is non-negotiable!)?

    ReplyDelete