Thursday, March 4, 2010

I don't think this is how it was supposed to go...

Tonight my big boy disobeyed just before bed and got sent to the bathroom for a little come-to-Jesus talk. I asked him if he knew why he was going to be disciplined; he did. I informed him he would have a swat. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth commenced.

I delivered the swat... on top of two inches of cloth diaper (nighttime is still a challenge) and the wailing and gnashing of teeth continued. I knew that it couldn't possibly have hurt him, but there was no way he was going to give up his edge.

I waited for a moment, trying to figure out if I needed to address the DRAMA. What the heck. I went for it. I told him, "I know it didn't hurt you. So why are you crying?"

"I don't know."

"Nathan, why are you crying when your bottom doesn't hurt?"

He looked at me with those huge blue eyes, tears rolling down his cheeks...

"Because it's fun."

Um.... "What?"

"It's kind of like a game."

I almost bit my tongue off. Don't laugh. Do not laugh. DO NOT LAUGH! I totally laughed.

I guess I have his number now.

2 comments: